Friday, August 11, 2006

A Jnani's contribution to humanity

Some people are critical of Jnani's like Ramana Maharishi, as they feel that they don't contribute anything tangible to improve the world.

Even during his lifetime, Ramana Maharishi's standard response to such criticism, was that the self-realised soul's Presence benefits humanity far greater than any social service rendered for the upliftment of mankind. Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj also has something similar to say on this.

Nisargadatta Maharaj and Ranjit Maharaj

Here's an extract of a conversation with him
Extract of a conversation with Nisargadatta Maharaj

Q: Can you influence the world by your attitude? By separating yourself from the world you lose all hope of helping it.

M: How can it be? All is myself -- can't I help myself? I do not identify myself with anybody in particular, for I am all -- both the particular and the universal.

Q: Can you then help me, the particular person?

M: But I do help you always -- from within. My self and your self are one. I know it, but you don't. That is all the difference -- and it cannot last.

Q: And how do you help the entire world?

M: Gandhi is dead, yet his mind pervades the earth. The thought of a jnani pervades humanity and works ceaselessly for good. Being anonymous, coming from within, it is the more powerful and compelling. That is how the world improves -- the inner aiding and blessing the outer. When a jnani dies, he is no more, in the same sense in which a river is no more when it merges in the sea, the name, the shape, are no more, but the water remains and becomes one with the ocean. When a jnani joins the universal mind, all his goodness and wisdom become the heritage of humanity and uplift every human being.
M- refers to Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

No comments: