Saturday, September 02, 2006

Renunciation and the Householder

When asked by householder devotees for permission to renounce the world, and take up formal Sanyasa, Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharishi would advise them that it is easier for a householder to gain Jnana or liberation, than for a Sanyasi. I found a similar instruction by Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj, to a person who wanted to renounce the world, and take up Sanyasa.

Q: I am an adopted child. My own father I do not know. My mother died when I was born. My foster father, to please my foster mother, who was childless, adopted me -- almost by accident. He is a simple man -- a truck owner and driver. My mother keeps the house. I am 24 years now. For the last two and a half years I am travelling, restless, seeking. I want to live a good life, a holy life. What am I to do?

M: Go home, take charge of your father's business, look after your parents in their old age. Marry the girl who is waiting for you, be loyal, be simple, be humble. Hide your virtue, live silently. The five senses and the three qualities (gunas) are your eight steps in Yoga. And 'I am' is the Great Reminder (mahamantra). You can learn from them all you need to know. Be attentive, enquire ceaselessly. That is all.

'M' refers to Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
Source: I AM THAT - Talks with Nisargadatta Maharaj

No comments: